Saturday, February 12, 2011

doula, doula


this book is incredible.
i began reading it about a month ago for my pregnancy and birth class at school
and now i can't put it down.
this book, along with the documentary the business of being born
(which i think everyone should watch)
made me finally realize what i am passionate about
and what i'm supposed to do with my life.
starting in july, i will begin my training to become a doula
and i absolutely can't wait.
it will take a while to complete,
and quite honestly sometimes i am scared out of my mind
but i am excited
and ready
and willing to do whatever i need to do
to make this happen.

2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous that you have that kind of class at school! It sounds wonderful. I trained to become a doula as well once I realized my passion in life was pregnancy and birth. I took the class and read the books, but I never did the 3 births to get certified. Life just got in the way.

    I think I'm going to go into Child and Maternal Health for grad school which I'm really excited about, but I'm not quite to that point in life yet... and I have no idea what I would do with the degree!

    If you haven't already, you should read Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife by Peggy Vincent. It's my favorite book ever.

    Have you been watching One Born Every Minute? The last episode had a doula in it but it was portrayed kind of negatively. I'm still enjoying the series though. http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/one-born-every-minute

    If you want someone to chat with about this kind of thing, I'm your girl! I'd love a buddy with the same passion :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know ina may lives with a bunch of midwives on "the farm" like 30 minutes outside of franklin and you can give birth there. they have you and your husband stay with them the week surrounding your due date :)

    ReplyDelete